Globalsat has announced a new Bluetooth GPS receiver that has TMC (Traffic Message Channel) capabilities, the Globalsat BTT-100. This new GPS unit will be using the SiRFStar III chipset, a Built-in ceramic patch antenna. The Traffic Message Channel (TMC) will be using uses the FM Radio Data System (RDS) to broadcast real-time information of traffic, weather, etc. The device is really small and has a eight of just 70 grams and it sounds like a really good way to add TMC functionality to a navigation system or even a PDA.
Some of it other announced features include:
- Bluetooth Version 2.0
- Supports WAAS and EGNOS
- Battery life up to 14 hours of operation time, in continuous mode.
- Power saving mode (powers down after 10 minutes of inactivity)
- Dimension: 82mm x 42mm x 22mm
- Requires external FM antenna
- Hot start: 1 sec average
- Warm start: 38 sec average
- Cold start: 42 sec average
No information on pricing and availability yet.